10-12 small (6-8 inch) tortillas (I use flour but the recipe I used calls for corn, so either way)
3 C shredded cooked chicken (I always just buy a rotisserie chicken and use about 2/3 of it)
12 oz shredded cheddar (or other shredded cheese you want to use such as Monterey Jack)
2-1/2 C enchilada sauce
1 to 2 (4 oz) cans of chopped green chiles, drained
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a medium bowl, combine chicken. 2 C cheese, 1/2 C enchilada sauce, and chiles. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If the tortillas are stiff (if you're using corn tortillas especially), place the tortillas on a microwave safe plate, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for a about a minute to get them pliable.
- Place 1/3 C of the chicken mixture in one tortilla and roll it up. Place it on a 9x13 inch baking pan, lightly sprayed with vegetable oil spray. Repeat with all 10-12. If you're making 12, you'll need to make 2 layers. If you're making 10 you should be able to fit them all in on layer.
- Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce on top, making sure to coat the enchiladas thoroughly, and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until they are warmed through. Take the foil off and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned. Serve with Homemade Salsa, avocados, sour cream, and lime wedges.
1/2 vidalia onion, diced small
7-8 small sweet tomatoes or 1 container of grape/cherry tomatoes, diced small
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped fine
juice of 1 lime
salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl:)