Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"Asian" noodles

Since I'm Japanese, I feel like I have to give the disclaimer that this isn't really Asian. I found a recipe for sesame noodles using whole wheat pasta, and I thought I'd try something similar. I changed a lot of things to make it more authentic. I just played around with a lot of South-East Asian flavors, and I think it turned out really well. It would be really good with shrimp instead of chicken if you want to try that. It's a fast meal that you can pull together during the time it takes to boil the pasta.

makes 1 lb of pasta
sauce:
1/2 C chicken broth
3 T creamy peanut butter
2 T fish sauce
3 T soy sauce
2 T mirin
1 T chili garlic sauce
1 T grated fresh ginger

1 lb whole wheat spaghetti

1~2 carrots, grated
bean sprouts (as much as you want)
4 scallions, cut into 1 inch pieces (or thinly sliced, if you like)
1/2 rotisserie chicken, shredded
3 T toasted white sesame seeds
1 head nappa or savoy cabbage, core removed and sliced thin
juice of 1 lime
cilantro
  1. Boil pasta to al dente with salted water. (probably about 8 minutes).
  2. In a sauce pan, heat the sauce ingredients together and whisk until peanut butter is dissolved. Set aside.
  3. Toss pasta, sauce, vegetables, lime juice, cilantro, and sesame seeds. Garnish with some more sesame seeds and cilantro. Serve hot or cold.

No comments: