Sunday, May 27, 2012

Chicken Fajitas

We have been craving Mexican again. We crave Mexican a lot! I've tried those little fajita packets a couple of times, and never really liked them, and tried a few recipes online without much success. So, now whenever I make fajitas I never follow a recipe, I just throw in whatever sounds good at the time. These turned out fantastic so I thought I'd post how I made them so I can duplicate it and share it with others. 

2 chicken breasts, thinly sliced
2 bell peppers, thinly sliced ( I like to use two peppers of different colors)
2 small onions, thinly sliced (or one very large onion)
1 pkg. corn or flour tortillas
1 lime, quartered

Marinade:
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 jalapeño finely diced
1 serrano pepper finely diced
1 Tb. hot sauce (like Cholula)
1 Tb. olive oil
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. dried cilantro

Toppings: 
Shredded cheese - cheddar, colby jack, or queso fresco
Sour Cream
Guacamole
Salsa

Dice up chicken, peppers and onions. Mix all ingredients for marinade in bowl or plastic bag. Add the chicken and let sit for 15-20 min. Pour into hot pan/skillet and sauté for a few minutes. Add the peppers and onions and cook until tender, but not too soft. Squeeze lime over top. Place a few tortillas in plastic bag and microwave for several seconds to warm, or warm tortillas on hot pan for a few seconds. Serve fajita filling in warm tortillas with cheese, sour cream, guacamole and salsa. 



No comments: