Saturday, April 23, 2011

Upside-Down Pineapple-Banana Cake


I found this recipe in one of my cookbooks for kids, called, "Ready, Steady, Spaghetti", and wanted to try it out. My husband, who isn't a big banana fan, crinkled his nose when I mentioned it to him, but after I made it and gave him a bite, I couldn't keep him away from it. He just had one question after he ate it, "How much butter is in this?" Okay, so it's not the healthiest, it's cake for Pete's sake, but it's good, right down the the last buttery-sugared bite.  

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup whole milk
1 large banana, mashed

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease six small springform cake pans (like you use for cheesecakes), or an 8 inch springform cake pan. I actually used a regular cake pan, and it worked great.

Beat the butter, sugar, and egg until smooth. Sift in the flour and baking powder. Mix well, then add the milk and mashed banana. (I added some vanilla bean to my batter.)

Spread the melted butter in the base of the pan, then sprinkle evenly with brown sugar.

Spread the crushed pineapple over the sugar. Pour the batter evenly over the top. Bake for 45 minutes, or until a knife inserted into middle of cake comes out clean. My cake took a little longer to cook. I think it was because it was a deep cake pan. Unmold onto a plate and serve warm with cream.

No comments: