Sunday, April 10, 2011

Apple Oatmeal Muffins with Brown Sugar Streusel

I love muffins. If I had to choose between eating a sweet or savory breakfast, nine out of ten times I'd go with the sweet side. Some of my favorite breakfast items include fruits, sugar, and cream in one form or another, although I enjoy eating them with a crispy piece of bacon or a nicely seasoned egg, and I wouldn't give up those things without a fight. These muffins are filling and healthy. I substituted brown sugar for the white sugar in both the muffin and the streusel recipe, because I like the caramel-y taste of brown sugar. I got this recipe from my brother-in-law, who got it from a friend, who got it from who-knows-where. I just like to be clear about where I find these recipes and where to give the credit.

1 cup rolled oats
1 apple cored and cut
1 Tb. baking powder
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. grated orange peel
1/3 cup chopped nuts
1/4 cup sugar or honey (or brown sugar)
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
2 Tb. oil
1/3 cup raisins

Put dry ingredients into a blender (except raisins) and pulse a few times. Pour in bowl and add remaining ingredients and stir till moistened. Sprinkle over streusel topping. Bake at 400• for 12-14 minutes.

Streusel Topping:
1/2 cup sugar (or brown sugar)
2 Tb. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tb. butter, softened

Put all ingredients in bowl, and cut butter into mixture, to resemble crumbs. Sprinkle over muffins before baking.

No comments: