Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Homemade Caramel




I love caramel apples, but I have really gotten tired of using the little caramel candies or caramel apple wraps, and even the apple dip doesn't cut it. So, the other day I made some homemade caramel. It was so good! I don't think I'll ever resort to store-bought caramel again! I also used some of the caramel to make caramel popcorn balls, which were also really good! It would probably be good on other things, like chocolate cakes, cheesecakes, or ice cream! Here's the recipe:

1 cup butter (not margarine)
2 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup corn syrup
1 tsp. vanilla

Melt butter in large saucepan. Add remaining ingredients, except nuts. Cook and stir over medium-high heat, about 10 min. (You can cook it longer until thermometer reaches 248˚ to make caramel candies.) Let cool and store in air-tight container in refrigerator. Reheat slightly to use.

Extra coatings on caramel:

Chocolate (of course)
White chocolate and cinnamon sugar (my new fave)
Crushed candy bars, like Score, or Butterfinger
Crushed cookies, like Oreos or Nutter-Butters
Chopped nuts

No comments: