Thursday, October 4, 2012

Homemade Everything Apple Pie

Don't you think that homemade is just so much better than anything else out there? I don't always cook from scratch, I'll admit that. I enjoy the convenience of eating without slaving away. But when I am in the mood for something a little better and willing to put in a little time, I get an urge to turn my nose up to the frozen and canned goods, and reach for the pantry door. And to my computer to find a good recipe. 


Crust:
2 1/2 C. flour
1 C. butter
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
6-8 Tb. ice water

May substitute 1/2 cup flour with almond flour and add 1 tsp. brown sugar for a richer crust flavor

Mix flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter, slowly add ice water while mixing. Press crumbs together with hand or spatula. May need to chill if butter becomes too soft. 

Filling:
6 cups peeled, sliced apples
3/4 C. sugar
2 Tb. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 Tb. lemon juice

Peel and slice apples. Toss with remaining ingredients. Spoon into prepared pie shells. Brush crust with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. 

Bake at 425 for 40-45 min. 


No comments: